HD upgrades near completion

Last sunday we pulled all of the analog equipment which really meant all of the equipment out of the media office and made room for the hd equipment.  Monday we rented the scissor lift and began pulling the old wiring and installing the new wiring.  the old wiring was 25 conductor control cable and Multicore cable.  Then we replaced then with RG-6 and CAT5 wiring.  Much cheeper and easier to work with.  We working on this through most of the evening on Monday night.  Tuesday night we strung up wiring behind the stage and began setting up the equipment room to become the wiring hub.  Wed I took a floating holiday off from work.  The last of the new equipment arrived.  We unboxed some of the hardware and sent some stuff off to be manufactured at a local machine shop.  Unboxed some more and began setting up the PTZ’s and the master control.  We also began programing the PTZ’s for the cameras.  We have a combination of Sony and Panasonic cameras so the controllers needed to be customized for each protocol.  We then began working on running cabling from the equipment room to the media office to make the final connections.  Thursday we closed up the mounted up the ptz’s up and began interconnecting everything to the switcher mainframe.  we also ran  cabling from the balcony all the way back to the media office for the two rear cameras and two-channel communications.  we also wired up the communications to the sound console to deliver communications to a wireless IEM channel for the wireless camera operators.  friday we put the finishing touches on everything and began learning the operation of all the new software.  We also wired up a makeshift recording system and projection system.  That evening we debuted the new cameras with a concert being held at the church.  It was a rough start be we got to use the time to figure out all the of the stuff and begin to work out the kinks.

Today we cleaned up our mess and the office and finalized some last cable runs to the sound booth.  we also returned the projection equipment to the booth as well as increased the projection resolution from 1024×768 to 1600×1200.  Our system could support 1080i however we still need to match up some final settings before pushing our limits.  We were also able to bring in the mixed feed back into the projection computer.  The software doesn’t seam to support 16×9 however so there may be some aspect ratio weirdness going on until we swap software

Left to Do

-Acquire HD Recorder


-SDI Scaller


-SDI Streamer

-Pro Presenter with alpha-key


-wide screen confidence monitors

-additional BNC/RG-6 compression connectors

gaffers tape to hide wiring